Suggestion for classroom:
A senior student of the Institute of Journalism, TU Dortmund University, and practicing TV journalist, Chantal Beil, has prepared a couple of video features on migration and contextfactors from Guinea-Bissau. Watch the videos below. Each participant has to write a 1-page media critique of the journalistic work, following the
- Which messages on migration and refuge, on migrants and refugees, does Chantal deliver?
- How does she structure her stories?
- Which journalistisc story telling techniques does she apply?
- Is her view eurocentric or is the telling the African or the Bissau’en story of migration and
- How does Chantal’s way of reporting differ from others they have seen so far?
- What could Chantal have done better?
1. Video: Migration Stories of Guinea-Bissau – Part I: The Football dream
This is a story about a former migrant, who is now back in Bissau. Why he migrated and returned, what the European returnee program of IOM has to do with it, you can see in the video.
(Musiccredits: https://www.evermusic.de/, More Information: https://www.iom.int/assisted-voluntary-return-and-reintegration)
2. Video: Migration Stories of Guinea-Bissau – Part II: Education
No education, no hope. Many kids in Bissau are not able to go to school, even though there is compulsory education and public schools in Guinea-Bissau. But the government cannot pay the teachers. The only open schools in Bissau are private schools, which not everyone can afford plus, many teachers there are not well educated themselves. But there is a project on the outskirts of Bissau that gives hope…
3. Video: Migration Stories of Guinea-Bissau – Part III: Health
Some people want or have to leave Guinea-Bissau to find medical treatment and preventive care. In one single illness, “NOMA”, the process is counter-intuitive: people immigrate to Bissau in order to be treated here or do not have to leave the country and find special care here.
4. Travel blog
The following travel blog should help you to understand more about the research, travel reasons and to write a 1-page media critique of the journalistic work.